This is a draft of the press release to be sent out when the project is grounded with a name.
See also http://blog.wikiring.com/Blog/BlogEntry28
: feel free to reuse stuff from there.
Tonality and intention
Announcing Foswiki: the next generation of Wiki development
- Foswiki is a spin-off
- TWiki as a solid Wiki-System is still valuable
- Provide the right buzz words (Web 2.0, social software, mashups) and features.
- Make existing users switch to Foswiki.
- Mention that there is a solid community behind it.
Foswiki is the next generation of enterprise collaboration suites. With Foswiki, you don't have to be a programmer to collect, store, and re-use enterprise information: everyday users have the power to easily create Web 2.0 applications such as mashups and social interaction tools.
Foswiki is a spin off from the venerable TWiki, the platform that introduced the term "structured wiki
" to the world of enterprise collaboration. Foswiki takes this platform to the next level, exploring new areas and novel modes of collaboration, and storing structured information in convenient ways for applications to use. By building upon and maintaining compatibility with TWiki, Foswiki users benefit from the rock-solid TWiki foundation and its rich repository of over 350 high-quality plugins. Existing TWiki users can easily leverage their current installations by upgrading to Foswiki.
Among Foswiki´s key features are an enhanced user experience, business-proven performance and scalability, and an improved maintenance interface. Foswiki is on the cutting edge of innovation, backed by a staunch community of developers and contributors.
TWiki™ is a registered trademark of Peter Thoeny
- Press release can't be issued until we decide on a name (obviously).
- How do we agree (as a community) that the press release should be sent out? How about if we fix a time to discuss it in IRC?
- Newsworthyness: The most notable thing that's happened (in an editor's eyes anyway) is that an open source project has decided to fork. This kind of thing doesn't happen all that often after all. And people being people, they all want to know about the whos and whys as much as the whats and hows. This will require careful drafting, of course, because we need to be extra sure to check our facts and not say anything that can't be backed up solid facts.
- 29 Oct 2008
- I think you should propose a media relations task team, and that team should decide what consultation, if any, is required.
- Also agreed.
- 31 Oct 2008
nice work Michael.
- 31 Oct 2008
Does TWiki really have over 350 "useable" plugins? This a good opportunity to purge all the old, incompatible extensions and get a true figure.
- 31 Oct 2008